Welcome to our article on how to cook husked corn in the microwave! Corn on the cob is a delicious and popular summer side dish, and cooking it in the microwave is a quick and easy way to prepare it. Whether you’re a beginner cook or just want to try something new, this method will show you how to cook corn to perfection in no time.
Steps how to cook husked corn in the microwave
Step 1: Choose the right corn
When selecting corn, look for ears that have bright green husks that fit tightly around the corn. The silk should be pale and slightly moist. Avoid corn with brown or dry silks, as these are signs that the corn is old and may not taste as fresh.
Step 2: Prepare the corn
Peel away the outer layers of the husk, leaving only one or two layers intact. Remove the silk from the corn by pulling it away with your fingers or using a soft bristled brush. Rinse the corn under cool running water to remove any remaining silk.
Step 3: Soak the corn
Place the corn in a bowl of cold water for 10-15 minutes to help the corn steam in the microwave and prevent it from drying out. This step is optional, but it will result in juicier corn.
Step 4: Place the corn in the microwave
Put the corn in the microwave, and place a microwave-safe plate over the top to help steam the corn. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes per ear.
Step 5: Check the corn
After the cooking time is up, carefully remove the plate and check the corn for doneness. You can tell that the corn is cooked through by inserting a toothpick into the center of the kernels. If the toothpick goes through easily, the corn is done. If it meets resistance, microwave for another 30 seconds and check again.
Step 6: Let the corn rest
After the corn is done, let it rest for a few minutes to allow the heat to distribute evenly throughout the ear.
Step 7: Peel the husk
Hold the corn by the stem, and use a pair of kitchen shears to cut off the stalk end of the ear. Grasp the remaining husk at the top of the ear and peel it away in one piece, starting at the cut end.
Step 8: Add butter and seasoning
Spread a generous amount of butter over the ear of corn and sprinkle on your favorite seasonings, such as salt and pepper, garlic or Parmesan cheese, for extra flavor.
Step 9: Serve the corn
Your husked corn is now ready to be served! Enjoy it as a side dish with your favorite summer meals.
Explanation how to cook husked corn in the microwave
Cooking corn on the cob in the microwave is a quick and easy method that yields delicious results. By following these steps, you can ensure that your corn is cooked to perfection and retains its natural sweetness and juiciness.
Soaking the corn in water before cooking helps to keep the moisture in the kernels, resulting in more tender and juicy corn. Covering the corn with a plate during cooking also helps to trap the steam and retain the moisture. Checking the corn for doneness is important to ensure that it is not overcooked, which can result in tough and chewy corn.
Peeling the husk after cooking allows you to spread butter and seasonings over the kernels for extra flavor. Using a pair of kitchen shears to remove the stalk end of the ear also makes it easier to remove the husk and silk.
Tips and Tricks how to cook husked corn in the microwave
1. Use fresh corn
Corn is best when it’s fresh, so try to cook it as soon as possible after purchasing. If you must wait, store it in the refrigerator with the husks left on.
2. Soak the corn for extra juiciness
If you have time, soak the corn in cold water for 10-15 minutes before cooking. This step will help to keep the corn juicy and tender.
3. Cover the corn with a plate
Placing a microwave-safe plate over the corn while cooking will help to retain the moisture and steam the corn more evenly.
4. Use a toothpick to test for doneness
Inserting a toothpick into the center of the kernels will help you to determine whether the corn is cooked through or needs more time.
5. Let the corn rest before peeling
Allowing the corn to rest for a few minutes after cooking will help the heat to distribute evenly throughout the ear.
6. Use kitchen shears to remove the stalk end
Removing the stalk end of the ear with kitchen shears makes it easier to peel away the husk and silk.
7. Add butter and seasonings for extra flavor
Spread butter over the kernels and sprinkle with your favorite seasonings, such as salt, pepper, garlic, or Parmesan cheese, for extra flavor.
8. Experiment with different seasonings
Don’t be afraid to try different seasonings to find your favorite flavor combination. Some popular options include chili powder, cumin, and lime juice.
9. Serve with a variety of summer dishes
Corn on the cob is a versatile side dish that pairs well with grilled meats, seafood, salads, and other summer favorites.
There’s nothing quite like a juicy ear of corn on a summer day. Take your time to savor the flavors and enjoy every bite!
Advantages and Disadvantages of Cooking Husked Corn in the Microwave
1. Time-saving – Cooking husked corn in the microwave takes 5-7 minutes, significantly less than boiling or grilling it.
2. Easier preparation – Removing the husk and silk from corn can be a hassle, but this can be avoided by cooking husked corn in the microwave.
3. More efficient – Using a microwave is more energy-efficient than boiling or grilling corn.
4. Retains nutrients – Cooking corn in the microwave retains more nutrients than boiling or grilling, as it avoids the leaching of water-soluble vitamins and minerals that can occur during boiling.
5. Fewer dishes to wash – Cooking husked corn in the microwave requires only a microwave-safe dish, reducing the need for additional pots or dishes to clean.
6. Consistent results – Microwave cooking ensures that the corn is cooked evenly and thoroughly without burning the kernels.
7. Convenient – Cooking husked corn in the microwave is a convenient option for those who do not have access to a grill or stove.
8. Healthier option – Without the need for butter or oil, cooking husked corn in the microwave can result in a healthier option than grilling or boiling.
9. Versatile – Corn cooked in the microwave can easily be used in salads, soups, or eaten on its own as a snack.
10. Tastes great – Some people prefer the taste and texture of corn cooked in the microwave over other methods.
1. May not get the authentic taste – For those who enjoy the smoky flavor of grilled corn, cooking husked corn in the microwave may not provide that taste.
2. Requires a microwave – For those without access to a microwave, this may not be a feasible option.
3. May become overcooked – If cooked for too long, the kernels of corn may become overly soft or mushy.
4. Requires a bit of experimentation – Getting the cooking time just right may require a bit of experimentation, as microwaves vary in power.
5. Limited quantity – It may not be possible to cook large quantities of corn in the microwave.
6. The husk may become stuck – If not removed properly, the husk may stick to the corn, making it difficult or impossible to remove.
7. May result in uneven cooking – Microwaves may cause some kernels to cook faster than others, resulting in uneven cooking.
8. Lack of browning – Unlike grilled corn, microwaved corn may not have the same levels of browning or caramelization.
9. May not be suitable for certain recipes – Some recipes may require a different cooking method, making a microwave less useful.
10. May increase moisture – Cooking corn in the microwave may increase moisture, impacting the texture and possible undesirable results.
1. Can I cook husked corn in the microwave?
Yes, you can cook husked corn in the microwave.
2. How long does it take to cook husked corn in the microwave?
It takes about 3-5 minutes per ear of corn to cook husked corn in the microwave.
3. What do I need to cook husked corn in the microwave?
You will need a microwave, a microwave-safe plate, and some water.
4. Do I need to add water when cooking husked corn in the microwave?
Yes, you should add water when cooking husked corn in the microwave. It helps to create steam which cooks the corn.
5. How much water do I need to add when cooking husked corn in the microwave?
You should add about 2 tablespoons of water per ear of corn when cooking husked corn in the microwave.
6. Should I wrap the corn in plastic wrap before microwaving it?
No, you should not wrap the corn in plastic wrap before microwaving it. The husk will protect the kernels and keep them moist.
7. How do I know when the corn is done cooking in the microwave?
The husk will be brown and the kernels will be tender when the corn is done cooking in the microwave.
8. Can I season the corn before cooking it in the microwave?
Yes, you can season the corn before cooking it in the microwave. Try adding butter, salt, and pepper.
9. Do I need to rotate the corn while it’s cooking in the microwave?
No, you do not need to rotate the corn while it’s cooking in the microwave. The steam will cook the corn evenly.
10. Can I cook multiple ears of corn in the microwave at once?
Yes, you can cook multiple ears of corn in the microwave at once. Just make sure they’re not too crowded on the plate and add a little more water.
11. Is it safe to eat the corn straight from the microwave?
Yes, it is safe to eat the corn straight from the microwave. Just be careful as it will be hot.
12. Can I use this method to cook frozen corn?
This method is best used for fresh corn, but you can try it with frozen corn if you thaw it first.
13. Can I reuse the husks after cooking the corn in the microwave?
No, you cannot reuse the husks after cooking the corn in the microwave. They will be too brittle and dry.
If you are looking for a quick and easy way to cook husked corn, look no further than your microwave. This method is simple and convenient, taking only minutes to prepare. Here’s how to cook husked corn in the microwave.
First, prepare your corn by peeling back the husks and removing the silk. Then, rinse the corn under cold water to remove any remaining silk.
Next, wrap the corn in damp paper towels. This will help the corn cook evenly and prevent it from drying out.
Place the wrapped corn on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for three to four minutes. The exact cooking time will depend on the wattage of your microwave and the number of ears of corn you are cooking. Check the corn after two minutes to see if it is done; if not, continue cooking for another minute or two.
Conclusion how to cook husked corn in the microwave
Cooking husked corn in the microwave is a great way to save time and enjoy a delicious summer treat. This method is quick, easy, and produces perfectly cooked corn that is moist and flavorful. Whether you are hosting a backyard barbecue or just looking for a quick and easy side dish, try cooking husked corn in the microwave.
Closing how to cook husked corn in the microwave
We hope this article has been helpful in showing you how to cook husked corn in the microwave. With these simple steps, you can enjoy delicious corn on the cob in just a few minutes. So go ahead and give it a try, and enjoy the taste of summer any time of year!
Until next time, happy cooking!